Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Go figure...126 bucks

  1. #11
    HB Super Moderator
    Go figure...126 bucks


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Walnut shell would be better. It'll take the paint off without doing much to the surface of the aluminum. I had some sconces that were made from galvanized ductwork. The walnut shell left the galvanizing, but took the multiple layers of old wall paint.
    It all depends on what your stripping.Thick aluminum castings, it isn't going to hurt.When your applying a new coat of something especially (paint) you want the surface microscopically rough for the coating to adhere to prevent the paint from peeling or flaking.It will give it a long lasting durable finish.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    It all depends on what your stripping.Thick aluminum castings, it isn't going to hurt.When your applying a new coat of something especially (paint) you want the surface microscopically rough for the coating to adhere to prevent the paint from peeling or flaking.It will give it a long lasting durable finish.
    Yeah paint adhesion is typically the argument I hear for a more aggressive media. However, in many cases adhesion was never an issue, but rather removing glopped on layers of someone else's choice in color. In stripping a soft metal like aluminum, I'd rather use the less aggressive media. The case of a vintage horn, even more so, because I wouldn't want to alter the original surface.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #13
    HB Super Moderator
    Go figure...126 bucks


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    I stripped many things from engine manifolds to horns and assure you... It's Not A Problem !

    It has more to do with the amount of pressure (psi) you are using with the abrasive (Glass Bead).You only use just enough pressure to remove what you need. My advice to him was for something he is more likely to find...In my area I don't know anyone who uses Walnut Shells.But there are quite a few that use Glass Beads. To each his own...
    Last edited by Altec Best; June 12th, 2012 at 02:04 AM.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Go figure...126 bucks


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    Perhaps we could do a movie of that horn's life titled "Single white 329"
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    WTF is the deal with log-in timing out before i can finish typing a 500 word post?

    Aluminum requires the proper primer, generally "self-etching". If you can find the 2 part stuff, you hit paydirt. But don't breathe the overspray from yellow part as it has a fairly nasty acid in it.

    I used to supervise/coordinate a job that involved painting aluminum cast for the military. Abrading anything other than flash lines was strictly forbidden.

    Now with that said, whether or not you break the surface "skin" with abrasives is probably a lot less critical with an acoustic waveguide than it is with high performance aircraft parts. Personally, i'd go with walnut shell or plastic media first for blasting old paint off. But, i might still opt for a light blast with a "sharp" abrasive depending on how the surface looks/feels, especially with die cast aluminum that tends to form a very glassy skin.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #16
    HB Super Moderator
    Go figure...126 bucks


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Yeah paint adhesion is typically the argument I hear for a more aggressive media. However, in many cases adhesion was never an issue, but rather removing glopped on layers of someone else's choice in color.
    I disagree ... I have come across a lot of old Horns (Especially Multicells) with flaking paint with just the original coat.I'll show you one right here.In fact my Tar-Filled 1005's have their original coat that is flaking badly and is in need of a new finish which I plan on doing this summer. By Glass Bead.

    46

    15


    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    WTF is the deal with log-in timing out before i can finish typing a 500 word post?
    Don't know Bowtie ! There are a lot of things with this software that leave a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by Altec Best; June 12th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    .......need of a new finish which I plan on doing this summer. By Glass Bead.
    I like glass bead on most kinds of aluminum, i run it in my blast cabinet a lot as it's easy to control and not go deep into the aluminum's grain. I've also found that with fresh bead and lower pressure you can leave a surface that is much akin to a shot peened steel surface.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    Thanks for all your input. Still can't believe I won that auction. As for now I think I will be happy just to bolt on a 288c and give a side by side listen with a 311-90. I have one set of A-7' cabs close to being restored. The test A-7's I will use this weekend were used by a band and the port has been modified. I will run the 515's in the cabs. The throat adapter was removed for shipping, I didn't see a gasket, I assume I'll need to make one. This is going to be a fun project.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I disagree ... I have come across a lot of old Horns (Especially Multicells) with flaking paint with just the original coat.I'll show you one right here.In fact my Tar-Filled 1005's have their original coat that is flaking badly and is in need of a new finish which I plan on doing this summer. By Glass Bead.
    Those aren't cast horns, Though. They were made with sheet that was probably oiled while in the role. That oil may not have been removed before paint was applied.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Go figure...126 bucks

    I beg to differ AbG. See here......http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...H7BxUw&cad=rja

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.